I didn't give up, I'm still working on the Crochet a Zoo playmat. It took awhile to weave in all of the ends in the body of this blanket. I even finished the border. I may have picked up too many stitches on the long side, it's a bit wavy. The greens don't have enough contrast, but my choices were limited, so I'm happy with what I got so far.
The weather has been a humid, so there is not chance of me sitting under the blanket to work on the single crochet detail on the front.
Still a lot more to go... felt trees and stones need to be created, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!